WHAT WE BELIEVE
UNITY ON THE ESSENTIALS,
LIBERTY ON THE NON-ESSENTIALS
AND LOVE IN ALL THINGS
Our beliefs are in common with what Christians worldwide believe
We believe that our understanding of God should be practical. Our primary concern is for the transformation of the lives of sincere seekers into the likeness of Christ through repentance, spiritual habits, and practices that cultivate hearts and lives of holiness.
What We Believe About God
- We emphasize that God is love. We generally understand God’s sovereignty in terms of God’s love.
- We believe in the Trinity, believing that God is three persons with a common essence and that the love of the Father is revealed fully in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ by the power and witness of the Holy Spirit.
What We Believe About The Bible
- We believe that the Bible is the primary revelation of Jesus Christ, the Word of God, and that the Bible is authoritative in all that matters of Christian faith and practice. We also believe that the primary purpose of the Bible is to lead us to faith and holiness in Christ.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit reveals God’s Word to us in Scripture and nature by enlivening our spiritual awareness and rational capacities so that we may discern things otherwise invisible to us.
What We Believe About Sin
- We believe that humans were created in the image and likeness of God, intended for a loving relationship with God and to reflect God’s love in and for all creation.
- We believe that, because of the universal effects of sin, we have lost our capacity to love God, others and all of creation as God intends.
- We believe that, even in the greatest depths of our sins, we live in the continual presence of God since the Spirit gives us a knowledge of God even before we have to come to faith in Christ.
What We Believe About Salvation
- We believe that this presence of God in us frees us to confess and repent of our lives of sin and offer ourselves in obedience to God.
- We believe that we participate responsibly with God in our salvation through repentance and obedience, but always and only by the grace of God.
- We believe that God’s saving grace justifies us and reconciles us to God. God forgives the guilt of our sins and we are no longer estranged from God.
What We Believe About Holiness
- We believe in the work of the Holy Spirit in the sanctification of believers. Following justification, the Holy Spirit renews the image of God in us so that we are no longer enslaved to sin but instead freed for complete devotion to God and love for others.
- We believe that God’s purposes for salvation are not limited to individuals, but have implications for all relationships, all communities and societies, and even the world that we inhabit.
What We Believe About The Church
- We claim as sisters and brothers in Christ all who trust fully in Christ, believe the faith passed to use by the saints in the creeds of the Church, and earnestly seek complete devotion to God and love for neighbor.
- We believe all believers have access to God’s grace and are both called to and empowered for Christian ministry.
- We believe a have a special calling and commitment to reach out to common people, many of whom are poor, to care for their physical, material and spiritual needs, and welcome them into the life of the Church.
What We Believe About Following Jesus
- We believe in caring for those in physical, emotional, and spiritual need to conveying the love of God for people in need and as a way for us to be formed in the character of holiness.
- We believe in spiritual practices (reading Scripture, prayer and fasting, etc.) as a way to not only discern the Word of God, but also through which we are formed in the character of holiness.
- We believe participation in groups in which we hold each other accountable for good deeds and spiritual practices as we respond to God’s call of holiness of heart and life.