We can serve God in any kind of work when we work with excellence.
- double life: God on Sunday, work on Monday. Is the church not interested in 90% of your life?
- What many people think their church values is their volunteer time and offerings
WORK IS GOD’S CREATION
- Marduke – Gods created the world then human beings to do all the labors that the gods may have their ease
- Prometheus. Zeus. Epimetheus.
- Work is not a necessary evil that came into the picture later.
- God works for the sheer joy of it. Work could not have a more celebrated beginning.
- Gave Adam a job. As far as God is concerned, you can’t have paradise without work.
- God came as a carpenter. How much more dignity can God give work?
OUR WORK IS GOD’S WORK
- Matthew 5:16 – let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
- The simple farm girl who is milking the cow, she is one of the fingers of God. You are being cared for through the work of others.
- You can honor Jesus in every kind of job – God is willing to use men and women in medicine, law…
- Do not honor one job over another.
EXCELLENCE HONORS GOD
- How do we connect what we do on Sunday morning…? By doing your job really really well.
- Truck stop illustration.
- Gelsinger – Colossians 3:23: ‘Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.’
- Pilot – how can I best honor God? Just land the plane so it can be used again.
- To the degree that we do work well is the degree that we have the opportunity to witness and be heard.
- “If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.” MLK
WHEN WORK GOES WRONG
- Tower of babel. “Came together to make a name for themselves…”
- But because it was for their own advantage, the result was fragmentation.
- If your work is about God, not a self identity, then it will be about serving other people.
- This would be a radically different world. The curse of babel lies on all of us.
- The do-what-you-love ethic is unhelpful to such believers in the working class. But “love whom you do it for” is different entirely.
- When I realize my meaning is in God and not in my work, it made my work a way for me to serve other people instead of using people. When you work for yourself it will be exhausting. Successful or not.
THE PURPOSE OF WORK
- The purpose of work is to serve and glorify God.
- Do a prayer at the end: Pray for employer. People who serve us.