About John 17:6-8
- He assumes a common Jewish posture for prayer by raising his eyes toward heaven.
- Jesus prays for his personal disciples and then prays for those who will be their disciples.
- God’s desire for relationships.
- We should see ourselves too as the subjects of this prayer. Jesus is our Lord and shepherd
In his prayer Jesus is telling his father he has brought this small group of disciples into a relationship with himself and the father. You can sense the joy Jesus has for them as he presents them to his father.
John 17:6-8 “I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.
WHAT JESUS WANTS FOR US
- LAST WORDS
- They don’t talk about the weather. My whole life, my death, Everything I’ve done is about this. I put myself completely on the line for this, what is it? Our holiness.
- WHAT DOES HE MEAN BY HOLINESS (VS WORLD)
There is no intention to lose the disciples back to the world.
John 17:9-11 I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.
so that they may be one as we are one.
- Holy Father. Make them holy. Keep them away from the world.
- if you want to have anything to do with Jesus, you’ve got to be willing to let him make you holy.
- Jesus is essentially all about holiness.
WHAT THINGS FROM THE WORLD ARE SEPARATING YOU FROM GOD?
John 17:13-16 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.
They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.
WHAT IS IT
- Wholly setting yourself apart, putting God absolutely first, ditching all competition. unconditional obedience, there’s nothing else that has control over me.
- holiness is not saying I really shouldn’t worry so much. I’m a Christian. I’ve got it. I’m not worried. …resentful, scared? I should overcome this. holiness is not just talking yourself
- because given God unconditional obedience that means nothing else has control over me.
- And bit by bit I’ll become more filled with Jesus, who wasn’t scared, resentful, worried about anything… as when there are things you feel you’ve got to have.
WHY WE NEED IT
- whatever else you think is more important than holiness, isn’t.
- you get thirsty. 60% water. We’re dehydrated. A lot of the restlessness in your life in my life comes because we’re thirsty Jesus. If you’re really thirsty, usually, you know you’re thirsty, but sometimes you don’t. All you do is you feel just really restless, itchy.
- you are never lord of your own life. whatever is most important to you. If approval of people is more important than God, then you’re controlled by what people think. If romance and love; If you say, I’d like to obey God, but if I did, it would hold me up to ridicule, then again, you’re controlled by what people think. But if God is more important than anything else then you will be controlled by him.
WILL YOU ANSWER HIS CALL, AND LIVE ENTIRELY, ONLY FOR JESUS?
HOW TO HAVE IT
- Either you are using God or you have given yourself for God to use you. Nothing in the middle. Either you are using him Or else he’s using you.
John 17:17-19 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SAID HE SANCTIFIES HIMSELF??
The church – NOT ALONE
- When we get together, we meet Jesus Himself. We come into His presence, we have an actual experience of Jesus Christ, through His Word and spirit, so that we are then equipped to do his work in the world. SMALL GROUPS
- The church can only be the church if there is a revival dynamic is an extraordinary outpouring
- And he says, You are a holy ethnic, what’s that mean? It means you are a whole new culture, a whole new society. Sexuality, RACE, GENDER, POOR, MONEY – DIFFERENT
- holy people VS a holy people. People should be looking at you and saying, I like that person or I like those people, but I can’t explain them. BECAUSE OF WHO CONTROLS US.
“you sanctified yourself for my sake. I will sanctify myself for yours.