The declarations made at the end of the message are available here
Introduction – review of series and first habit.
- Good dreams but bad habits.
- Habit #1. Focus on what you do first. Don’t underestimate on what you do first.
Problems – Uncontrolled thoughts destroy our lives
- Habit #2. We have got to control our thinking.
- Current news story – Everyone has a “receiver” in his mind.
- Negative reasons we don’t change:
- Stubbornness – is like concrete
- Memories – you groove into habits unconsciously and you deal with things from those habitual memories. When you think, you build thoughts, and these become physical substances in your brain.
God – Learn God’s way of thinking
- Romans 8:5-6 – 5
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.
Application – Ways that help us filter our thoughts and find healing thoughts
- Negative thoughts are self inflicted wounds.
- “Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Bible – 1. Find a plan to control our thoughts.
- Prayer – 2. Find a place to think your thoughts.
- He would rather hear one sentence than nothing at all.
- While at prayer, behave as though there were no one else in the world, just you and God.
- Small Group – 3. Find a people who will stretch my thoughts.
- When you have a sin confess it to God. If you want to be healed from that sin go talk to others in the body of Christ.
- Holy Spirit – 4. Find a power to fuel those thoughts.
- Bad source – When thoughts go unchallenged they begin to grow and form roots. Here is a helpful test for thoughts to discern whether they bring life or death. “Did God really say that?
- Why does the Lord command us to love our enemies and to pray for them? Not for their sake, but for ours! Because love and prayer control and change our thoughts from poison to healing.
- Use personal story…
Vision – Everything that God wants to do in your life depends on you controlling your thoughts.