The first problem in the Bible wasn’t sin. It was solitude.
There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth.
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with.”
1. I need people who will care for me.
When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.
“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.
I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”
It’s better to have a partner than go it alone. Share the work, share the wealth. And if one falls down, the other helps, but if there’s no one to help, tough!
Rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn.
If one part suffers, every part suffers with it.
1 Corinthians 12:26
2. I need people who will encourage me.
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.”
John 14: 1
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
3. I need people who will partner with me.
Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches.
If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
4. I need people who will protect me.
“All this I have told you so that you will not go astray.”
A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
- Have you been in a compromising situation this week?
- Have any of your financial dealings lacked integrity?
- Have you viewed any sexually explicit material?
- Have you spent quality time in Bible study and prayer?
- Have you given priority time to your family?
- Have you fulfilled the mandates of your calling?
- Have you just lied to me?
5. I need people who will pray for me.
After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed… “I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me…”
Prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters.