This, then, is how you should pray
- how do I know I’m on the right path of prayer? I will see signposts along the way. WKDP
- Dallas Willard example
Sign post 1- Worship of God v. 9
- consider the phrase, our Father in heaven.
- If you’re a child of God, you have the strongest dad in the universe.
- You are loved and protected.
- He created you and you have inherited something from him.
- Worship is about perspective. It is about who we are in God‘s presence.
- Omnipotent – If a man seems powerful it is because you are looking at him without the perspective of Jesus.
- Omniscience – Are you sure that your information is right?
- Omnipresent -. present in every moment before and after time God is there now.
hallowed be your name.
- The identity of God is completely perfect and completely whole, in need of nothing
Sign post 2- Kingdom of God v. 10
- Am I praying prayers that align with God’s kingdom as opposed to my kingdom.
Your kingdom come
- Daniel Henderson – not all prayer requests are created equal.
- If I am robbing a bank I am not praying for the police to get here quick.
Your will be done
- God’s people in God’s place under God’s rule.
- Example of racism in church
On earth as it is in heaven
- If Jesus answered all of your prayers in the last 30 days, would anything change in the world? Or just your world? – John Bryson.
- On earth as it is in heaven. Show me the lies I believe or truth.
Sign post 3 – Dependence on God v. 11-12
- If we’re not praying we’re telling God, I don’t need you God.
Give us today our daily bread
- Grace, Grace, Grace, Grace, Grace
forgive us our debts
- The Jesus Prayer – Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
as we also have forgiven our debtors
- The power to do good when we forgive others
Signpost 4 – Protection of God v. 13
And lead us not into temptation
- Sometimes we should pray for closed doors- temptation of ruining my own life
- Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
but deliver us from the evil one
- Mother’s prayers
- There is nothing greater than seeing our children know Jesus Christ.
- Leonard Ravenhill – No person is greater than his or her prayer life.