SENT AS JESUS WAS
- LAST WEEK Last week, we said Jesus actually frees us from sin’s power.
- QUESTIONS What we’re trying to do in this series is not simply tell the Christmas story. We’re trying to figure why Jesus was sent and what in the world does that mean for us today?
This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph, her husband, was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"—which means, "God with us." When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.
- Context for the Emmanuel name
- Assyrians invading Aram+Israel. Aram + Israel plan an attack on Judah.
- Isaiah tells Ahaz to not worry. Offers a sign. Ahaz refuses to believe. God gives the sign of Emmanuel.
- Exactly as God said. Assyrians attack Aram+Israel but not Judah. Samaritans.
- Emmanuel—The Hebrew word for God is el; and emmanu signifies “with us.”
- “Emmanuel” heaven and earth, God and man, infinite and finite.
- Jesus was vulnerable and comfortable in poverty.
- God could not redeem without becoming vulnerable
- The manger was a parable of the whole life of Jesus.
- Christmas means the consecration of the commonplace.
- EXAMPLE Group Home, Sober Living Homes
- EXAMPLE Archie and Cal telling me to go live with my dad.
- SLIDES 1-Pearl Lenihan, 2-Ruth Burks, 3-Cliff Morrison
- Everything in the life of Jesus fits into one great design