How Can I Make the Most of My Life (Part 2)
- 60 Things Every Man Must Do to Fully Experience Life Before He Dies
- How many of the big experiences do you have to actually do to make a life?
- Paul for whom life is not a list, life is not a scorecard. Life is a growing relationship with Jesus.
Philippians 3:12-14 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
- Paul’s life is not a laundry list. It’s a target that he’s aiming for. a definite and defining priority of his life.
That one thing are good deeds that glorify God
- One Thing – Could you write down the single most important thing that God wants you to achieve with your life?
- City Slickers movieclip
1 Corinthians 9:16 For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!
- Woe to me if I do not _____________.
- Woe to me if I do not share Jesus Christ with my elderly mother before she dies
- Woe to me if I do not do all I can to help my children meet Jesus before they leave my home.
- Woe to me if I do not help my divorced son provide for his handicapped child.
- Woe to me, if I do not reconfigure my life to better support my marriage and my family
- Good works
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
1. Good works are always a blessing to other people.
Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves
2. Good works help us to be more like Jesus.
1 John 2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.
3. Good works always bring glory to God.
Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
4. Good works are motivated by our love for others.
Galatians 5:13. You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. (story about a woman who was married to a very demanding man)
- No one is naturally good at it. practice and cultivate like any other good and healthy habit in your life.
- Glorifying God – You get to show God’s glory, his character, every time you engage in good works.
- we think that it means to give God props, like to give God credit.
Exodus 33:18-23 Then Moses said, “Now, please show me your glory.” 19 The Lord answered, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will announce my name, the Lord, so you can hear it. 20 But you cannot see my face, because no one can see me and live. 21 “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes that place, I will put you in a large crack in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will take away my hand, and you will see my back. But my face must not be seen.” Exodus 34:6-7 The Lord passed in front of Moses and said, “I am the Lord. The Lord is a God who shows mercy, who is kind, who doesn’t become angry quickly, who has great love and faithfulness and is kind to thousands of people. The Lord forgives people for evil, for sin, and for turning against him.
- So when you do good works for those around you. What happens is, they get to turn and see a glimpse of God passing by them, you become a window, a portal, where his presence comes and is revealed.
- His goodness, his compassion, his graciousness, his true character, and how big his love and faithfulness is
- You guys know that in our current culture, God is so misrepresented. He is so misunderstood. He gets blamed for so much stuff that is not his fault. You have the opportunity, by your good deeds to show his true essence, who he is to the people that you engage with. Be a window.
- It’ll be the last to do list you’ll ever need. How do I know that? Welcome to the heavenly banquet. Well done, good and faithful servant.