Washing feet is the best way to show your love for others and Jesus
FEELINGS OF SUPERIORITY IS A SIN ALL OF US HAVE
- Illustration of our people fearing the germs in our dumpster. Germaphobic and sicker. Except camping.
- Any city is filthy and you can’t help but “soil your feet.” – metaphor for sin. Sin is never sanitized.
JESUS’ BEST SERMON WAS HIM WASHING FEET
- Disciples argued about who was the greatest.
- Intro to passage: This is at the highest point of Jesus’ life. At a dinner, when someone realized they were the lowest status person, this person would realize the situation and do the feet washing.
- John 13:1-5;12-17
- He was hours away from a cruel and lonely death. If anyone needed to be served that evening—to be loved and cared for—it was Jesus.
- 13:1: “Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love.” What do you do to show this type of love to your spouse, children, friends, neighbors, co-workers and God?
HOW CAN YOU KNEEL BEFORE OTHERS IN SERVICE TO THEM?
- Wasn’t there something more worthy of Jesus last words to his followers than this??
- Foot washing is easy (Popes). But Jesus did the most difficult thing. Serving the lowest.
- We are to wash each others sin soiled feet in our small groups. In humble service to each other.
- What do you do when there’s one man who is hell-bent on his personal agenda? You wash his feet.
WE ARE TO BE KNOWN AS THOSE WHO WILLING TAKE THE LOWEST PLACE IN SERVICE
- When you are a follower of Jesus, you can no longer write on your resume or vitae, ‘I don’t do feet.’ ” That’s precisely what you do, because that’s what Jesus does and is and we are trying to be.
- How was Jesus able to humble himself? He knew his security and destiny (“and was going back to God”) And washing feet would not take that away. Jesus knew
- Do you know your destiny? Why are you here on earth. Go do this… serve people.