Need for Passion
Because spiritual passion is the antidote to spiritual death
God is preparing for a future date on the calendar. But our role is to be prepared every day. Not just because of a future day but also because God still has work to do until that day. Today is the destination.
Many here have a sense of what God has called them too. But some have lost their spiritual fire.
2 kinds of people
The wise, who are working for the kingdom, who have a passion for the things of God.
The foolish, working for their own self interest, and have a passion for the things of the world.
1. To ignite our spiritual passion: Reset God as the reason for your day – The Faithful Servant
“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
- Stopped serving the masters interest
- Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
- weeping and gnashing is regret
- Keep Looking Up to Jesus- What’s my next job? I’m all in. What is the purpose of this meeting?
2. To ignite our spiritual passion: Seek the infilling of the Holy Spirit daily – Wise and Foolish Virgins
“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
- didn’t have enough extra supplies of the word and the spirit to last them through the dark days.
- I think it’s not how we start on fire. It’s that we end on fire.
- You do not want to be in a position where you remember your spiritual passion of yesteryear.
- In the Bible, it’s always, does Jesus know you?
3. To ignite our spiritual passion: Do something in the name of Jesus – The story of the talents
“Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.
- Not how much did I get, what did I do with what I had?
- Well done. good and faithful – That’s what our watermark should be as Christians.
- Jesus doesn’t say well believed.
- buried it in the ground, he used it for the world.
To ignite our spiritual passion:
- Reset God as the reason for your day
- Seek the infilling of the Holy Spirit daily
- Do something in the name of Jesus
Today is the destination.