PROBLEM – forgiveness fixes brokenness
- We don’t like conflict, and yet we have so much of it.
- Forgiveness is an emotionally charged topic, especially when we’ve been deeply wounded.
- We sinful people who will regularly hurt and be hurt by other sinful people. Victim+izer
- Too many people dread learning about forgiveness. They fear they will learn what they ought to do and that what they ought to do will make them miserable.
GOD – repeat offenders
- Only God’s Word helps us work through forgiveness. Two goals: (1) Understand apply biblical teaching & (2) Unload the wounds we have received and pass on.
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them. (good news for us)
APPLICATION – forgive as God forgives you
- Conditional. Only those who repent and believe are saved. The Bible is full of true stories about people who were not forgiven. (giving v offering). hold in my heart forgiveness toward that person and pray that they will repent and receive it
- Forgiveness. Not simply the elimination of guilt. Costly. Humility
- Repentance. Essential. Example of a pastor going to heaven
- Reconciliation. Commitment by God to those he forgives.
VISION – the joy is in serving Jesus
- Impossible but as we follow Jesus the Holy Spirit operates in our lives.
- Sailing example. Word, prayer, fellowship with other believers, and worship.
- The more we do for God through broken relationships the more joy we have
- Tell yourself, I am going to do this because I believe it will maximize my happiness.