LIVING WITH FOCUS
- Today is the foundation of the next four weeks here at The Point… Starting next weekend, we are going to teach a four week series on our CORE VALUES.
- The mission of The Point is:
- “To Lead A Generation To Find and Follow Jesus”
- Over the course of the next four weeks we are going to share HOW we do this…
- Our leadership has developed these CORE VALUES to accomplish our mission…
- How about YOU – What is life about for you? Have you thought about your own core Values?
- – It really boils down to one word – FOCUS
- So… HOW DO YOU LIVE LIFE WITH FOCUS? HOW DO YOU KEEP FOCUS? (We live in a world of distractions) – OBJECTS
- WELL… One thing I’ve discovered – FOCUS LEAKS!!!
- – You have to ask the same questions often…
- Today – I’m going to ask the FOUR most important questions in life:
- – If you can get these questions clear in your mind…
- • Your STRESS-LEVEL will go down… &
- • Your JOY will go up!!
- PROVERBS 4:25 (NCV) “Keep your eyes focused on what is right,
- and look straight ahead to what is good.”
- You can know what to “cut out” of your life and what to ADD…
…IF you can truly and honestly answer these four QUESTIONS:
#1. WHAT WILL BE THE CENTER OF MY LIFE?
- [IN OTHER WORDS… who OR what AM I GOING TO LIVE FOR?]
- This is the “starting point”… There are so many choices:
- You can center your life around (and we do):
- – CAREER…Education – SPORT – HOBBY – PLEASURE – MONEY & MORE MONEY – POSITION – Even…MINISTRY!
- LISTEN… Nothing wrong with any of these… BUT THESE MAKE A LOUSY CENTER OF LIFE!!
- WHY??? NONE of these things are strong enough to last!!
- You and I need something at the center of our life that is ABSOLUTELY UNCHANGING!!
- PSALM 62:10 (NLT) …” If your wealth increases, don’t make it the center of your life.”
- – Because Jesus said in… LUKE 12:15 “…A man’s life does not consist in
- the abundance of things he possesses.” (Man built bigger barns and died)
- SEE… Being a Christ-follower means…. JESUS is now at the center of your life!
- 2 CORINTHIANS 5:14 “His love has the first and last word in everything we do. Our firm decision is to work from this focused center: One man died for everyone.
- SO… HOW DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT’S AT THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE?
- **The answer is another question: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MOST?
- Getting married
#2. WHAT WILL BE THE CHARACTER OF MY LIFE?
- (What kind of a person am I going to be? Doesn’t matter what’s on your business card)
- BECAUSE… It’s NOT about what we do… IT’S WHO YOU ARE!!
- God’s desire is for us to always be more like Jesus:
- ROMANS 8:29 (LB) – “For from the very beginning God decided that those who came to Him should become like His Son.”
- PHILIPPIANS 2:5 – “You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.”
- LISTEN… Every situation that comes into your life – EVERY, GOOD or BAD…
- … God wants to use for the purpose of developing CHARACTER in you!
- You Know… GALATIANS 5 – Talks about the FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT…
- 22-23 says: “When the Holy Spirit controls you.. we will produce fruit like, LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, FAITHFULNESS, GENTLENESS, SELF-CONTROL.”
- HOW Here’s the SECRET:
- DOES GOD BUILD THESE QUALITIES IN YOU?
- ***By putting us in the exact OPPOSITE circumstance!!!!!
- TO BE MORE LOVING – He will put you around people hard to love!
- SELF-CONTROL – put you in traffic or crowded places with SLOW line!
- PATIENCE – he gives you KIDS!!!
- AND… When you’re screaming… “God HELP!!”
- REMEMBER: That’s an opportunity to GROW YOUR CHARACTER!!! Be JESUS!
- Remember: “When you’re going through a tough circumstance and it feels like God is NOT there… Keep in mind, the Teacher is always quiet during the test.”
[Ok…third question that will bring FOCUS to your life:]
#3. WHAT AM I GOING TO GIVE BACK WITH MY LIFE?
- You and I were put here to GIVE… NOT JUST TAKE!
- 1 PETER 4:10 (LB) “God has given each of you special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to others God’s many kinds of blessings.”
- EPHESIANS 2:10 (LB) “It is God himself who has made us what we are and given us new lives from Christ Jesus; and long ago He planned that we should spend these lives in helping others.”
- ONE THING WE ALL HAVE IN COMMON: We all want to make a difference with our lives!!
- God has wired each of us to make a difference…Make a contribution.
- …NOT just take up space!
- PHENOMENAL story in LUKE 10… known as “THE GOOD SAMARITAN”
- After two people walked by… This person (different ethnic group) stops!
- Helps, takes him to place to rest… spends his own money!
- Do you know why we don’t stop and help?
- – WE HAVE NO MARGIN IN OUR LIVES!!! – We are so FOCUSED on our own agenda… Our own lives!
- AND – As long as we are FOCUSED on ourselves… WE WILL NEVER MAKE A CONTRIBUTION!
[FINAL QUESTION TO FOCUS OUR LIVES:]
#4. WHAT WILL BE THE MESSAGE OF MY LIFE?
- ( What does God want to say to the world thru YOU!)
- BECAUSE… The most powerful message comes through A PERSON!
- LISTEN… Aren’t you glad when God wanted to share His message of love –
- HE DIDN’T E-MAIL IT!!! (Didn’t put it on Facebook)
- – HE CAME IN PERSON!!!
- 1ST – You have to live your message
- …(that’s what we’ve been talking about)
- PHILIPPIANS 1:27 (Mess)
- “Live in such a way that you are a credit to the message of Christ…”
- Let me say it this way: “YOU HAVE TO BE THE GOSPEL FOR PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THE GOSPEL.”
- QUESTION: BY watching you…Do other people KNOW what the center of your life is?
- 2nd – You have to tell your message…
- ACTS 20:24 (NLT) “But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.” (when is the last time you shared Jesus with someone?)
- YES… God wants us to LIVE the message… HE ALSO NEEDS US TO SHARE IT!
- There are some people in our lives… That if we don’t SHARE the “Good News of God’s grace…
- …They’re just not going to hear it!!
- WHAT IS THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW?
Do you need to RE-FOCUS today?
- We spend so much of our lives today living WITHOUT focus…
- Bouncing around from activity to activity… wearing ourselves out!
- So often, wasting time on things that doesn’t matter…