- I would be embarrassed for MLK to see us now.
- We hear comments like “you’re free, white and 21”
- Sometimes when people try to tell us how they feel, we disregard how they feel and insist they see things our way instead. (self-centeredness)
- This is sinful and self centered of us.
- John 8: 31-32 (NKJV) – “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
- Most people think freedom is freedom from responsibility to God and others in order that I may live for myself and be free.
- That isn’t freedom. That’s bondage to my own self-centeredness. True freedom is to be set free from my silly little self in order to give myself in love to God and to my fellow human beings.
- Freedom to be my true self as God made me and meant me to be.
- An example of self-centeredness: a man climbing a tower who sees further in terms of physical vision while remaining himself the center and the standard of reference. “I am the center of the world I see.”
- We Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the only remedy for this radical self-centeredness.
- By the power of his Spirit he can enter our personality and begin to change us from within.
- Christians do not claim to be perfect. We claim that Jesus has begun to liberate us from the cramping bondage of our own self-centeredness.
- Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. – What our african american brothers and sisters are saying, “If we are one in the spirit, then when I hurt, you should hurt. But I don’t hear you say ouch. Sometimes it would at least help if you could cry with us. But if you don’t care, you won’t cry. “
- Our national motto: e pluribus unum – Out of many, one.
- The example Adam and Eve in Genesis 2:24 – True unity takes humility and love
- We need to cooperate with God’s intent to give us a reset to see things from his presence.
- 1) Pray First – Listen and believe – 2) Speak up for them
- Galatians 2 – Paul confronted peter about racism
- Just one Christian empathizing or standing up for someone can prove there is hope to a victim.
- Examples of where we see the Kingdom of God in our church
- We have an opportunity today to stand in the middle of a dark dark moment with the love and compassion of Jesus and be who he asks us to be as his followers.