God wants us to have high expectations for what he can do in our lives.
Lack of Hope
- When we say “Things Will Never Change”
- replaces high hopes with depression and despair.
- blinds people to the possibility that God might have better days ahead.
- These words are so powerful they can handcuff the hands of God. Jesus didn’t do any miracles in His hometown of Nazareth. Why? The Bible says, “because of their unbelief” (Matthew 13:58).
- Often, it’s not low circumstances that make us lose hope—it’s low expectations.
- Show me a parent of a teenager who is focused on what their kid is like right now, and I’ll show you a discouraged parent. Show me a parent who is focused on what his or her teenager can become, and anything is possible.
What God Says
- “Everything is possible for him who believes” (Mark 9:23).
- Jesus heals the paralytic – Their expectation led to action and to a miracle when Jesus completely healed their friend.
- When do the people quit whining and stop being afraid? When do they rise up, shout, charge, and go to battle? After one guy with raised expectations had the courage to act. When David challenged Goliath changed everything
- the minute I begin to spiral into discouragement… I ask “What can this become?”
- Jesus was not focused on what people were like. He was focused on what they could become.
- “I will make you become fishers of men…”
What We Do
- “What can this become?” is a question…
- every parent of every teenagers should ask.
- asked by a spouse discouraged by his or her marriage.
- anyone currently feeling discouraged about themselves.
- people who want to change their lives, lose weight, get out of debt, or have a better future.
- power to lift a person out of discouragement.
- power to transform somebody’s mood.
- power to turn around a company or a church or a family.
- When we focus on what something can become, we come alive.
- It’s not where you start—it’s what you become.
- Story of Honi ha-M’agel. Drawing prayer circles starts with discerning what God wants – glorifying God by drawing circles around the promises, miracles, and dreams He wants for you.
- Bold prayers honor God, and God honors bold prayers.
- God isn’t offended by your biggest dreams or boldest prayers. He is offended by anything less.
- If your prayers aren’t impossible to you, they are insulting to God.
- simple yet life-changing truth: God is for you.
- God asks Moses a question, “Is there a limit to my power?”
- you never know how or when or where God is going to answer, but I promise you this: He will answer.
- A low view of God is the cause of a hundred lesser evils,
- but a high view of God is the solution to ten thousand temporal problems.