Criticism creates problems, forgiveness creates solutions
THE MOST PREDICTIVE OF DISASTER IN RELATIONSHIPS
- Criticism is an utter failure at getting positive behavior change. Any short-term gain you might get from it just builds resentment down the line.
- Most critical people remain primarily self-critical; I have never met someone who was not.
- If you’re making any kind of difference, if you’re in any kind of relationship, people are gonna be incredibly critical of you.
GOD HAS AN ALTERNATIVE TO CRITICISM
- Matthew 7:1–5 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye”
- Comparison to the Lord’s Prayer
THE 3 BEST WAYS OF RESPONDING TO CRITICISM
- Just because they have access to you, doesn’t mean that that demands a response from you.
- To overlook an offense is a form of forgiveness but it’s not forgiving something that’s past tense. It’s choosing to forgive in real time.
- Do not react instinctively, but respond.
- When emotions are high, you’re not being led by the spirit you’re being driven by emotions. Wait before you respond because when emotions are high, wisdom is low. Attack the problem, not the person
Listen and make a change
- There’s so many areas of my life that are better because of constructive criticism.
STAY CLOSE TO GOD AND HE WILL GUIDE YOUR THROUGH
- Who has the critical spirit? Satan
- Don’t mess up God’s plans
- Criticizing reveals your fears
- Prayer – If there is any type of criticism against us, if there’s any truth in it,
- God, help me to learn from it.
- God, give me the courage to rise above it and know I don’t have to always respond.
- God if there is an appropriate response that may bring a solution, give me the wisdom not to react, but to respond.
- God, above all else, I pray that I’m always part of the solution and not a part of the problem.