Our church has been ministering to the people of San Jose since 1907.
Our first meetings took place in a tent before we started renting a hall at 84 W. Santa Clara St. In 1908 we began renting the First Presbyterian Church on 48 N. 3rd Street, newly rebuilt after the 1906 earthquake.
We later rented space from the Methodist Episcopal on 69 S. 3rd St.
In 1923 we purchased a church on 4th and Williams St for $4,000 and then sold it in 1928 and we were able to build a church at 21st Street & San Fernando Streets in downtown San Jose.
Interesting Trivia: As the Great Depression started, the ladies in the church began to minister to the community by feeding hundreds of children in the church basement during their school lunch hour. This ministry is credited in California history as the inspiration and start of California’s public school free lunch program.
In 1955 we bought 4 lots on the corner of Cragmont and Alum Rock Ave for $15,5000 for future expansion. In 1962 the congregation relocated to 4801 Alum Rock Avenue.
In 1988, recent convert and member, Ramona Stocking, left the church 7 acres on N. Capital and Mabury, upon her passing. The property had served as Stocking Rose Gardens for 67 years and is renown for creating the famous Peace rose.
We had hoped to build a larger building there to accommodate the growing congregation, but when the city did not approve of that plan, we waited for God to act. In 2002 we traded that property for a 51 acre property in Evergreen where we could build. We sold 41 acres to developers and with the money, built our current facility.